Hustle Has a Price Tag

October 22, 2009 · 10 comments

sunrise-2The difference between success and less-than-stellar results can sometimes be a thin line. Sure, lots of things need to be in place to help ensure success – measurable goals, sound strategies, creative tactics. But why do some efforts that have this foundation still not measure up like others?

That thin dividing line? It’s called hustle.

Two different people with the same amount of smarts can take the same communications plan and derive very different results. That’s because exceeding your goals doesn’t always mean doing things that no one else can do. It often means doing the things that anyone can do, but doesn’t. That’s where hustle wins the day.

But hustle isn’t easy. It means moving faster, thinking harder, never quitting. It means you don’t see problems to complain about, but instead see opportunities to excel.

I spent all day yesterday on a long flight across the country. The young woman sitting next to me could have spent the entire five hours reading People magazine and napping. While she spent a little time doing both of those, she also took an hour or so to dig through email – sorting old emails, organizing her inbox and filling her outbox so replies would be ready to go when she landed and reconnected to the World Wide Web. That’s hustle.

Hustle has a price tag. But it also has rewards.

What helps you hustle? How do you channel that energy to excel?

*Image by Rick Harrison.

{ 1 trackback }

Where can small businesses find desire to be great? | Understanding Marketing
October 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm

1 Tom O'Keefe October 22, 2009 at 8:26 am

I commented on this over on Brazen Careerist. Here’s what I said:

I really like this, David.

Since my days in youth sports where hustle and grit set me apart from those more skilled, I’ve been a firm believer in the benefits hustle.

Thomas Edison once said, “Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.”

I think Edison is spot on, here. Especially now, students still in college must be willing to go the extra mile while they “wait” to graduate and get a job. They need to make sacrifices that others are unwilling to make.

Thanks for a good post,

Tom
@TomOKeefe1

2 David October 26, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Love the Edison quote, Tom. Thanks for sharing it!

3 Nick Lucido October 22, 2009 at 11:29 am

For me, being around the right people and working on something that challenges me keeps me hustling. I work with great people who know to call me out when I’m not hustling, so it’s nice to have that motivating kick-in-the-butt once in a while. With my work, I’m always looking one step ahead, and it keeps me on the edge of my seat. I live for the hustle.

4 David October 26, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Being surrounded by great folks makes a huge difference in your own performance. I’m pretty lucky to be in that situation right now and it makes my job a lot more interesting – and fun.

5 Dan Levine October 22, 2009 at 11:34 am

David, excellent conversation starter. Details matter and doing the little things absolutely makes a difference … and sets us apart from the pack. As Tom O’Keefe wrote above, you can see it very clearly in sports. But the same is true for business. Do what you do better than the other person and you’re going to succeed. It takes time, energy, persistence and tons of intrinsic motivation (or extrinsic too, I suppose), but those who excel do it by going the extra mile. Great post, David.

Dan
@schoolmarketer

6 Dave Folkens October 22, 2009 at 11:47 am

Great point David,
There are tons of smart people in every industry and everyone faces challenges but being able to move forward is essential. Nobody is perfect or can avoid setbacks entirely; however, the best pros I’ve seen are the ones who can recover quickly from a problem rather than dwelling on the added challenges.

You have a choice to make when you face tough times. You can take a deep breath, sigh and quit….or take that same deep breath, think about your next move, and go do it.

I think surrounding yourself with other positive people who are willing to take a step forward is essential. Also, provide yourself a little time to think, organize, and make sure you’re at your best when you need to be.

-Dave
@dfolkens

7 David October 26, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Couldn’t agree more with your words on recovering quickly from a problem rather than dwelling on it. That alone gives someone a bit of edge on overcoming said challenge.

8 Nikki Stephan October 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I agree with Nick. Surrounding yourself with people who also understand the importance of hustle keeps you on your toes. I believe hustle also translates to going above and beyond and not settling for doing solely what’s expected of you. I make an effort to spend time outside of the office reading blogs/books and attending events to learn more and connect with creative and talented people. These efforts help advance my career and are beneficial to both my agency and clients. Hustle can be exhausting, but like you said, it’s also rewarding!

9 John Sternal October 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Love this post. Not only does “hustle” make a difference, but so does “desire.” The Internet has opened up doors my parents never had at my age. I can be the business person they probably couldn’t. But it’s not a given as I still have to work my tail of for it. Thanks for some inspiration – I might just blog about this for my audience.

John