This is a bit off-topic for what is usually discussed on this blog, but apparently a few people want to know a bit more about me. Either that or it’s just that they know I’m a sucker and would keep the meme going.
A few weeks ago, Amybeth Hale – THE Research Goddess herself – tagged me in a post on her blog to share seven things about myself. Yesterday, one of my new favorite friends Shannon Paul did the same in a post on her blog. So, I guess that means I need to get cracking and share my stuff.
Without further ado, here are seven things you were dying to know about me. Yes, you may feel free to make fun of me for any of them.
1. I look like I’m 18. No, that’s not a blessing. Whenever I meet a new client, I feel like they wonder if I’m the intern. My actual age? I turned the big 3-0 last month. Actually, I was very excited about turning 30.
2. When I mention something about one of my daughters in a conversation, 90 percent of people say something along the lines of “wait, you have a kid?!” I reply that I have two. The next question is, “how old are you?!” (See first bullet above).
3. I auditioned for American Idol last year. It was for the season that David Cook won (this year). I did it on a whim. I would be too old to audition the next year. The audition city was close enough to drive and I had friends there I could stay with for free. My wife and oldest daughter (Piper wasn’t around yet) were in Wisconsin at her mom and dad’s house. So I threw some stuff in the car and headed to Charleston, SC. Yes, I can carry a tune – just ask Libby Krah. No, I didn’t make it to see Randy, Paula and Simon. But I had an absolute blast. If you want to know more about the crazy audition process, just ask.
4. I tell corny jokes and one-liners within the context of conversations. They get a good laugh about 75-80 percent of the time. That’s not a bad percentage, right? The other 20-25 percent fall flat on their faces. But that doesn’t stop me from dropping another one. Hey, laughter is good for the soul, I say. Besides, if two outta three ain’t bad, then three outta four must be good.
5. I can dance my white, little butt off, folks. You’d be surprised how much rhythm I’ve got in this body. I was even in a hip-hop dance group for a year when I was 18. No, there is no video of such performances. This was way before the days of YouTube, Facebook and other such social web things. No one was carrying Flip Minos around back then.
6. My favorite movie is The Shawshank Redemption because the real hero of that movie is the single most important human emotion in my opinion – hope. That and I love when Morgan Freeman’s character tells Andy Dufresne that people maybe call him “Red” because he’s Irish.
7. I’m a ridiculously positive person. I’ve been told my energy is contagious. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or if it can be annoying, but consider yourself warned. I wake up on the bright side.
There you have it. I guess not all of those are deep, dark secrets. But a few of them do have some potential for embarrassment.
Now, as the “rules” state, I’m tagging seven other people to participate in the next round. You were chosen because I think you’re interesting and others would enjoy knowing more about you. There are many folks I find interesting, BUT I did have to narrow it down to seven.
Here are the rules I followed, as shared by Shannon and Amybeth:
- Link your original tagger(s) and list these rules in your post.
- Share seven facts about yourself in the post.
- Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
- Let them know they’ve been tagged
Again, sorry for the departure and I hope this hasn’t bored you silly. Look at it this way. When we meet in person, you’ve got some great fodder for conversation in the hopper.